Author Topic: supplemental strobe  (Read 6024 times)

RobertEE

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
supplemental strobe
« on: September 09, 2008, 15:10:22 UTC »
I'm still looking for a solution to have more light for my small Casio camera and housing.  I'm tired of dealing with film and larger housings given the travel restrictions these days.  I like my little Casio and housing but need more candlepower!  Any suggestions?

ClaireOK

• Claire's & Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography
Re: supplemental strobe
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 00:45:15 UTC »
What are you using now?  Are you using any sort of additional lighting now?

I did everything to avoid the big setup. But now that I have the "big setup" I love it.  There's a learning curve, but there is with everything.  I'm not sure what size you're looking for, but I do macro and am forced to admit that my 2 51's aren't doing the trick....I have to crank up my f/stop so low that my field of focus is miserably small - so more light is my solution.  For the first time I'll be using a 150 - my housing is Ikelite with Ikelite D-150 and a Canon 30D with a macro lens.  I'm expecting a learning curve, but hopefully I'll get some practice - if Ike doesn't get in the way - off to south of Cancun this weekend.

This may not be what you want to hear, but unfortunately it sounds like something heavier is what is going to work for you

RobertEE

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:43:42 UTC »
Yeah, for 20+ years I used a Nik III with a 15 mm lens or several
macro set ups.  A single Nik strobe and I was good to go (overall, pretty compact).  Gone now are the Velvia and Provia days.  Shoot my land shots with  digital Cannon Rebel and am just not up to it any more to get that size of a housing, etc etc etc.  I am now at a point that simpler is easier for me.  UW photography is still enjoyable while diving but not the priority it once was.   That said, I still like having a camera near by, however the little strobe in the Casio is at best a fill.  There are some UW slave firing strobes out there and that is the direction I was heading, but really know nothing about them.  Have a great time in Cancun.  Looks like Ike will not be a problem for you.  I will be in Puerto Aventuras for an extended time this winter plus time in Coz.  Any feedback you might have on mainland diving once you get back would be most helpful. Doc V gave a thumbs up on a couple of wreck dives, but I am more of a reef guy.  Please follow up with a report if you don't mind.
Bob   

ClaireOK

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 13:36:39 UTC »
Bob - just my 2cents, but I didn't have much luck with slave firing strobes....they were always misfiring, which usually meant not firing at all.  You might be able to get a set up that does fire and if you do - let me know.  We are using two cameras now - SLR/macro & a G7 point-and-shoot.  Amazingly enough the G7 gets great seascape pics while the SLR gets fab macro shots.

We're headed just south of Cancun, but we go through Houston and that's what's worrying us....we may be delayed in Houston, and the trip is so far south of Cancun, that we might be forced to spend the night!  We're trying to make the traveling in one whole day so that we get in as much diving as possible!

Will post here about our trip - we're really excited about it!....if we can get there!

Clarie

RobertEE

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 15:58:43 UTC »
Where are you going "south of Cancun"?  Will it be a dedicated dive trip?  We are more or less hunkering down in that vicinity for a good part of the winter this year and will be looking for opportunities for diving.  Cenotes don't interest me having done a couple.  The slave strobe I am looking at has a fiberoptic that attaches to the housing near the flash which assures a firing of the strobe.  Sounds good in theory... but don't know for sure, thus my questions.

ClaireOK

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 22:57:23 UTC »
Well, you lucky devil - having to do all that hunkering down!!!!  It is entirely a dive-dedicated trip - we don't do very well sitting around unoccupied.  Not that, that's bad, it's just not us.  We haven't been there yet - let us get back and then I can speak more intelligently about it.  Not trying to be secretive, but at the same time we're going through Houston, and we may not make it cause of Ike....I wish that thing would just GO AWAY - from everything!

I haven't had too much luck with that sort of a slave/optic set up.  My strobe would not fire almost 60% of the time.  It's only when I had a direct link to the camera (even on our little G7 point-and-shoot), it works every time and we love it so much better.  Walt's pictures with the G7 are here here from San Salvador - most of his shots were excellent - the close-ups are obviously my macro shots.

I'll be back online with a review in about 10 days or so.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 23:05:51 UTC by ClaireOK »

RobertEE

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 14:01:33 UTC »
Hey Claire- You back yet and prepared to tell us all?  Can you also give me more info on what a G7 is?

ClaireOK

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 01:47:08 UTC »
I am back and have a report up on undercurrent here.  Then I put up a little pictorial montage on YouTube here.   It was a fab trip and loved it.  But remember I love almost every place we go to, but this place I got to see lots of stuff I haven't seen in a long time or very rarely and some I hadn't see before....it was very cool and I highly recommend it for both newbies & experts.  It's hard to get to but worth the trouble.  Our gallery is here to check out the pics.

A G7 is a really nice Canon point-and-shoot.  It looks small but is very powerful.  My buddy took most of the great pictures of San Salvador (you can see them here) and I thought they came out great.  It was perfect for seascape pictures and for pictures that I can't get with my Canon SLR macro lens - I have to get so far away that by the time I get the shot, the light has no chance of reach the target.  It's good for close up things and that's it!  The G7 is easy to operate, but it also has manual settings which my buddy loves - he uses TV or Aperture Priority and I've liked that setting so much that I use it on my SLR.  Sometimes it doesn't make that much difference, but sometimes I can get my f/stop up a little higher and get a better dept of field which is always what I'm looking for.

Recently we tested out messing with the ISO, which the local photography enthusiast has recommended, even after we told him that almost every u/w photo resource has recommended 100 ISO, he recommends that we mess with it a little and keep it on TV (or Aperture Priority) and see what we get.  Of course I want to go diving NOW to check it out, but have to wait till December....

...wish I had the body of a 20 y/o and the money of a 70 y/o!!!!!!!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.