Author Topic: Hurricane Ike - Provo  (Read 8072 times)

tkola

• Subscriber?: yes
Hurricane Ike - Provo
« on: September 09, 2008, 13:07:24 UTC »
Provo missed the worst of Ike. Max wind at Provo 71 MPH. Some roof damage to homes and businesses. Grace Bay resorts damage limited to landscaping, gutters, downspouts, etc. American Airlines flight scheduled to arrive 2:30 Tuesday 9/9. US Coast Guard arrived Sunday night 9/7 stayed at Royal West Indies. Sources: www.caribstorm, WIV4 TV (local TV) website/chatroom.

garylrea

Re: Hurricane Ike - Provo
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 13:10:17 UTC »
Has anyone from Grand Turk diving groups said anything about the damage to them and to the hotels etc.  ?

tkola

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 13:17:55 UTC »
Lots of damage to Grand Turk. I saw on the WIV4 chatroom that Salt Raker and Osprey lost their roofs. Same chatroom said that Mitch Rollins lost his house. You may want to contact them directly to confirm. Grand Turk, Salt Cay, South Caicos took the direct hit. When I find a site to donate $$ I'll post it.

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 13:56:09 UTC »
1. For SE FL folks, there is a drop-off site for donations:

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale Area
Just Posh Hair Salon
6447 Pembroke Road
Hollywood, FL 33023
(786) 318-6978
Ask for Jackie or Kim

2. To donate to the British Red Cross Hurricane Appeal go to http://www.redcross.org.uk/hurricaneappeal. Postal donations made payable to British Red Cross Hurricane Appeal can be sent to British Red Cross, 44 Moorfields, London EC2Y 9AA.

3. BML Shipping
C/O Jose Diaz
7185 NW 87th
Miami, Forida
(305) 591-7200

Some of the things needed:

bottled H2O
heavy duty work gloves
face masks
non perishable food items
roofing materials (galvanized nails, paper, ondura)
tarps
plastic trash containers or plastic boxes with lids
mosquito spray
mosquito nets
Lumber (treated, 2x4's, 2x6's, 2x10's, plywood)
diesel generators
personal hygiene products for the workers such as baby wipes, hand sanitizers, etc.

Please remember if you buy us building materials, we are in a tropical environment, rust is a big problem & if lumber is not treated, the termites get is as soon as they find it. We also have a bank account set up for relief funds..I will post the mailing address later today for those of you that would prefer to send money.

If you would prefer to make a monetary donation please send it to:

Friends of Salt Cay
C/O D R Opper
5410 McAlpine Farm Road
Charlotte, NC

OR you may send payment via paypal at www.saltcay.org

Regards,

DocVikingo

avschick

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:54:05 UTC »
Has anyone heard how Salt Cay fared?  Was there several years ago and am hopeful that they didn't have too much damage from Ike.

avschick

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 02:56:32 UTC »
Disregard my previous post - I didn't see the link to www.saltcay.org

Hopefully the folks there will be able to recover quickly.

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 10:59:26 UTC »
Lots of damage to Grand Turk. I saw on the WIV4 chatroom that Salt Raker and Osprey lost their roofs. Same chatroom said that Mitch Rollins lost his house. You may want to contact them directly to confirm. Grand Turk, Salt Cay, South Caicos took the direct hit. When I find a site to donate $$ I'll post it.

Government reports that 80-90% of all structures on Grand Turk suffered significant damage from Ike.  As the previous poster said, Provo missed the worst of it, but still lots of clean up work to do.  My friends on Provo all survived with few problems.  Wayne at Ocean Vibes reports his boats all survived, but he wasn't sure about how the other dive operations with boats on the south side of the island, which took the hardest hit, fared.

Don
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:01:40 UTC by Don Stark »
Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

tkola

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 13:36:31 UTC »
Things are getting back to normal on Provo..........Royal West Indies Resort re-opening for guests on Saturday September 13th.

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 14:52:48 UTC »
Hi avschick,

Here are some photos:

http://web.me.com/piratesofsaltcay/Site/ike1.html

Regards,

DocVikingo

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

golfher

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 12:21:36 UTC »
As a homeowner on Salt Cay, I can give you all an update on what is happening on our little island as of Oct. 7, 2008.  I am not there, but have been involved in writing updates, helping with shipments, feeding the islanders, raising donations, and doing a lot of coordinating with others not yet ready to go down to fix their homes.  We leave the end of Oct.

Salt Cay was hit very hard by Hanna, which softened things up, then Ike was more dry and ripped it up, out or off.  Ike was also apparently loaded with twisters both on Salt Cay and Grand Turk.  Those did hideious damage to homes, boats and businesses on both islands. 

Salt Cay businesses such as Salt Cay Divers did fine and just await power; the restaurants survived but for the Green Flash.  Tradewinds Guest Suites is getting their roof repaired and freshening the rooms.   Debbie reports the reef is healthy after snorkeling and going diving this weekend.  Some fans were down, but overall she is happy with how the reef survived.

TCU (the power company) is on island and all the new poles are in.  Line crews are next.  they hope to have power restored to the island by the end of October.  Homes and businesses must have their boxex and weatherheads checked if pulled away from the house before power can be individually restored.

Many of the guest houses are in great shape and will be rentable as soon as power is restored.  Compass Rose, Vistas, Hyacinth House, Frangipani, Pirates Hideaway are all fine.

The whales will be back as usual and it will not be a season to be missed. 

I encourage anyone to come to see Salt Cay, relax, revitalize on the island time forgot.  It is still the Old Caribbean here.   

That said, please do consider donating to Friends of Salt Cay as listed above by Doc Vikingo....it is a good a just cause.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.