Author Topic: Where to dive in Cancun?  (Read 5668 times)

scottgeo

• Subscriber?: yes
Where to dive in Cancun?
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:38 UTC »
My wife and I are going to Cancun in November with our in-laws.  The in-laws are putting us up and they will watch our daughter so we can go diving for one or two days.  The question is: Where should we try to go diving and do you recommend any particular dive operations?

We will likely be stuck with operations out of Cancun itself.  I would love to go to Cozumel but I don't know if boats out of Cancun go there.  How about Holbox Island?

Any advice is appreciated.

RobertEE

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Where to dive in Cancun?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 14:43:47 UTC »
I don't know how realistic it would be time-wise for you but you could pull out of Cancun early enough to get an early ferry out of PDC to Coz, dive there and return later that day.  Perhaps spend the night and dive the second day there too?   If you do this, I can be of help with dive ops and logistics to, from and while on Coz.  Another choice I will be trying myself this winter- you can go south from Cancun to Puerto Aventuras, a gated community including a deep water harbor with one or two dive ops on site.  They offer both cenote and ocean diving.  This would be a much easier day trip than Coz, but (I suspect) a step down in quality.  There are some dive ops just south of PA as well.  If you have many dives under your belt, you will not like anything that is offered out of Cancun.

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 15:31:35 UTC »
If you have many dives under your belt, you will not like anything that is offered out of Cancun.

Whoa, there, Roberto.

If you have some dives under your belt and conditions allow, the wreck of the 300' El Frio (aka  Ultrafreeze) at 90-100' is an excellent advanced dive. Less challenging, but still not for the newbie, are the wrecks of the C55 & C58.  Lots of marine life.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 15:46:57 UTC »
Hi Scottgeo,

My choice of ops in CUN is Solo Buceo (http://www.solobuceo.com/padicert.html).   

If you want to dive COZ on a day trip, AquaWorld (http://www.aquaworld.com.mx/cancun-cozumel.htm) in CUN can make all the arrangements.  It's a least-common-denominator style op, but it's quite convenient, especially if this is your first time making the CUN<-->COZ trip.   

On your schedule, no way for Holbox.  Sorry.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

RobertEE

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 20:02:53 UTC »
Hey Doc-
Thanks for thegreat tip on the wreck site.  However, a couple having a babysitter for the day might not want to risk conditions being just so to attempt this, no matter what their level of experience.  I like the other post of a Cancun op that gets you to Coz.  At least that is as sure as a calmer crossing.  Let's face it-  a diving couple with a child staying in Cancun, even with built in sitters, is not the best of circumstances for a great dive experience.  Again, pending their level of experience and what expectations they might have for a quality dive, heading just south for the day or over to Coz for an overnight, 2 day dive experience might be their most predictible choices. 

scottgeo

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:38:37 UTC »
Thanks much for the ideas. 

I think I will look further into a day trip to Coz from Cancun.  I don't think I can pull off an overnight trip but I don't mind a long day or an early start to the day.  I will have to look into the wreck you mentioned, I hadn't run across that one in my research.

My wife and I are both fairly experienced divers (I have over 300 dives, she has about 200), although only a few in the last year and a half since our daughter was born.  We have been to Belize, Roatan, Maui, Kauai, Bonaire, Fiji, Thailand, and a lot in California (where we live), but never Mexico. 

Thanks again,

Scott

RobertEE

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 15:19:01 UTC »
Coz diving is like Roatan and Belize diving on steroids.  You'll love it!  Coming over on the ferry, you might want to pick a dive op that either leaves from that immediate vicinity or can pick you up near by.  Perhaps some other posters can help on that.  I can check with some dive ops I am familiar with to help with choices if you like.  I can also offer some info on getting to the ferry if you need it.  Have a great time!

scottgeo

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 23:33:27 UTC »
Well we are back from Cancun.  I tried in vain to get a trip to Cozumel out of Cancun.  There are a number of ops who go there but they all wanted a minimum of six and, apparently, I was the only person in Cancun wanting to go to Coz.  I ended up going with Punta Del Esta to dive the C55 wreck.  That was a pretty good dive.  We did a second dive on a very nondescript reef.  The C55 was definitely worthwhile, though.

Thanks for the advice!

Scott

aodiver

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:24 UTC »
You may want to try Aldora Divers.( http://www.aldora.com) I highly recommend them for ease of diving and the fact they are not a cattle operation they may be able to work with your schedule instead of the other way around.  They are not the cheapest date in town but one of the best if going to Coz by ferry, I wouldnt want to dive with the cattle boats for a 40 min dive.  They may also be able to assist in getting you a room for the night if you chose to stay over a night. 

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.