Author Topic: Good, Affordable Women's Travel BCD  (Read 8487 times)

mwood9

• Subscriber?: yes
Good, Affordable Women's Travel BCD
« on: September 08, 2008, 19:13:48 UTC »
Looking to buy my daughter a BCD for warm water that is lightweight, for women and affordable.  Is this a pipedream?  I've only seen women's BCDs for $450-$600.

Maybe there is a travel BCD that is uni-sex in your experience?  I think the mfgs. are gouging on women's BCDS.

Thanks!

Michael Wood

ClaireOK

• Claire's & Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Good, Affordable Women's Travel BCD
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 23:22:51 UTC »
I bought a Dive Rite TransPac, and my diving buddy loves it - it packs beautifully and he loves its performance on dive trips.  I (a girl - OK woman!!!), didn't go for it so much - kept banging my head against the tank valve.  I have a Zeagle Ranger and it is all decked out and I LOVE IT!!!!  Can't bang my head at all anymore.  I didn't like my TransPac, but that was just me.  Before the TransPac I had a Genesis Athena, but had the same head-banging problem  with it.  Now you daughter may like the Athena or the TransPac (the TransPac is a dream to pack - really flat and takes up no room), but I tried a Zeagle Ranger of a friend's and was just in love with it from the minute I had it on.  That was about 35 dives ago, and I'm still in love with it.

I'm short-waisted, have a very thin waist with a medium sized chest and hips - I'm hour-glass shaped, and like something that has padding around my waist - it doesn't ride up on my ribs or hip bones, at the same time I can snug in the waist which allows the tank to hit right on my back so that I'm not banging my head - can you tell I don't like banging my head?!!! ;)  I'm also a clothing designer and am very picky about how things fit - you can imagine what I go through for a wet suit!  That's a whole other novel!

The Zeagle Ranger can be all decked out - more expensive;  or very basic - less expensive.  I'm a Dive Master, so I dive a lot so makes sense that I get something that suits my quirky taste.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 23:24:31 UTC by ClaireOK »

NJDIVER

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:09:24 UTC »
My wife has a Scuba Pro Lady Hawk and simply loves it.  Through her advancements she will giving that up for a true wing and plate system.  The Lady Hawk give you the rear inflation but yet the comfort of a jacket style BC...sort of the best of both worlds.

craigwood

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 21:05:21 UTC »
My wife and daughter love their Scubapro Ladyhawk BCs. Great fit, very comfortable, back inflation.

dfreeman

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 05:12:03 UTC »
My daughter dives a ScubaPro Bella.  For low cost and never break down, go backplate and wings.  Can adjust everything to match your body.  Use an aluminum or Kevlar plate for light weight.

Doug

seafan

• Subscriber?: no
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 23:26:40 UTC »
For something lightweight, adjustable and back inflated go with the Zeagle Escape, Express or Scout.
The express sells for around $250
Life's a beach... then you dive!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.