Author Topic: Komodo Area and S/Y Siren  (Read 7312 times)

hanklil

• Subscriber?: yes
Komodo Area and S/Y Siren
« on: September 08, 2008, 17:00:01 UTC »

We are planning to go on their new ship in June, 2009...the ship is called "S/Y Philippine Siren"..It looks great! :)
anyone have experienced with their ships and dive operation in Komodo area of Indonesia?

Thanks for you input... :)

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Komodo Area and S/Y Siren
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:54:02 UTC »
Hi hanklil,

I have two dive acquintances who have done this boat & itinerary and both spoke very highly of it.

Sorry I don't have more info.

Regards,

DocVikingo

hanklil

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 15:11:06 UTC »
Thanks for your reply...
Any chance of communicating with the people who have been on this Ship?
 ??? ;)

DavidWarshaw

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 21:57:02 UTC »
Hanklil... my wife and I will be aboard the Siren in Komodo from Aug 20 - 30.  What was your experience like?  What can we expect?  Concerned about temps and current.  Planning on taking a 7mm and 5mm wet suit.  What did you use?  Did you have any weight restriction issues on the flight from Bali? 

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

DAVID

Beachmaster

• Subscriber?: no
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 06:25:44 UTC »
David,

I just returned from a July 21-31 cruise on the S/Y P Siren (which is what they're calling the boat until they relocate to the Philippines later this year). Spectacular trip on a gorgeous new boat, with an unbelievable mix of macro (critters galore), superhealthy reefs, and big stuff (mantas, sharks, giant trevallies, Napoleon wrasses, turtles). Throw in Komodo dragons fighting and mating on the beach during one of our surface intervals, plus a park visit, and it just doesn't get any better.

The crew is superb and you will love them and the boat. Frank, the owner and MC, is a classic.

Most of the dive sites are warm (around 29C / 84F) and I regretted bringing only a 5mm. A 3mm would have been fine and some people were in shorties. For the dives in the southern areas, which get colder currents from the Indian Ocean, the 5mm with a 3mm hooded vest underneath was nice as the temperatures were as low as 23C / 73F.

At check-in in Denpasar (Bali) for the Merpati flight to Bima, they said I was 3kg over the 20kg limit, but when I said it was dive gear they just smiled and said no problem. Same thing on the return hop.

HTH and let me know if you have other questions.

John

DavidWarshaw

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:04:40 UTC »
Thanks very much for this report.  We are busy packing... leave next Monday (Aug 17).  Now I have to think about packing my 3mm.  We are looking forward to this trip with great anticipation.  I'll post when I return.

jblake555

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 19:05:48 UTC »
I was on this boat this August 18-28, 2009. The accommodations were good to above average. Computer and DVD in your room. If you have a room mate you better be REAL GOOD friends! I think it's tight for two people. The diving is excellent but for advanced divers used to swimming in strong currents. Mostly pinnacle diving but you'll see big fish: sharks, manta rays eagle rays, etc. Take a very good pair of gloves and a reef hook for sure. Safety sausage too! On some dives I thought we should have had eprb's! The muck diving is fantastic. If you have a sharp eye you'll see a lot of bizarre creatures.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.