Author Topic: baggage issues  (Read 5664 times)

earthwrites

• Subscriber?: yes
baggage issues
« on: September 01, 2008, 22:58:45 UTC »
I just flew from Los Angeles to Florida and checked my gear bag - which I've done many times before without incident.  This time -- although the gear arrived without incident -- I later realized that someone had opened it and rummaged through it.  There was no note from TSA and, strangely, nothing was taken except for my travel information and cell number.  It made me feel creepy and a little concerned.  I shipped the bag back home instead of giving the airline another chance to go through my bag.  Has anyone had gear problems with the airlines recently?

Travelnsj

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Re: baggage issues
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 05:07:49 UTC »
I have had that happen more than once. Nothing missing just a TSA note....I guess that is why you need TSA friendly locks.....and when I have used Red or Yellow zip ties they are replaced with Black ones.
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

dfreeman

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:49:57 UTC »
I have had TSA go through my stuff several times and leave a note.  They really mess around with the dive lights.  The reflector on my 50 Watt HID light has really taken a beating as they do not seem to be able to get it back in the case properly..

Doug

Capt Nemo

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 15:21:11 UTC »
Mrs. Nemo and I just returned home from Kona; TSA opened all our bags, and two of our TSA-approved locks disappeared in the process -- nothing else, just the locks.  During TSA personal screening, we were informed that dive light batteries had to be separated from dive lights, because TSA is worried that the bulbs become a fire hazard if they are turned on accidentally.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.