Author Topic: Info re.Roatan in January  (Read 4015 times)

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Info re.Roatan in January
« on: August 28, 2008, 21:06:05 UTC »
Hi Everbody, I'm thinking about going to Roatan at the end of january. A couple of travel agents have warned me off at this time of year because of 'usually heavy rains'/ winds.
Does anyone have any insights/experience at this time of year there? Or even some sites I could check out to get a bit more thourough info ?

Re: Info re.Roatan in January
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 04:45:07 UTC »
January is still in the rainy season in Roatan, but I wouldn't let that dissuade me from going there.  Here is a website with a table for average rainfall.

I know plenty of people who have been to Roatan during the rainy season and never heard any stories about it hurting the diving much.  Roatan was my first major dive trip and it is still one of my favorite places.

Re: Info re.Roatan in January
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:25:15 UTC »
I have been to Roatan in late January of 2006 and it rained every day of the trip.  However, the sun was out most days for a part of the time.  One or 2 days it was mostly sunny.  Heavy rains cause the water near the surface to become cloudy, but about 5 ft. below surface this goes away.  The cloudy sky's made it difficult to warm up.  Went there again in March 2008 and seemed like a different island as it did not rain once nor were there much in the way of clouds. 

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over. Current offers include French Polynesia Master Liveaboard!.