7 (21.9%)
Travel Insurance including coverage for Diving
12 (37.5%)
Medical Insurance covering Dving
11 (34.4%)
None at All - I insure myslef
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 8894 times)

Wayan123

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Insurance
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:34:50 UTC »
A number of operators are now asking that guests have insurance.  It would be interesting to see what your views are especially since costs of medical care is increasing all the time

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:14:49 UTC »
Hi Wayan123,

I am covered by a high quality CIGNA plan and carry DAN Preferred as well. Together these provide comprehensive and high limit coverage for injuries and medical conditions sustained while on dive travel.

Regards,

DocVikingo

craigwood

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 17:12:18 UTC »
I'm with Doc. My diving family carries comprehensive medical insurance as well as DAN coverage. We've never needed it, but we might someday.

Only a few operators have inquired about specific dive coverage, thus far, it has not been required.

Craig

NJDIVER

• Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:04:28 UTC »
I carry DAN insurance to the max as well as a good comprehensive medical plan.  Don't leave home without it.

blacktip

• Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 17:49:51 UTC »
I have an Aetna POP plan plus Dan Standard Plan w/ Med evac

DiverRob

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 14:32:01 UTC »
I carry Dive Assure when required.  They are cheaper than DAN.

www.diveassure.com

Robo

JoelS

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:21:02 UTC »
I have DAN preferred dive insurance, BCBS medical insurance and have been getting trip insurance if I  travel during a time of the year where inclement weather could potentially affect either travel or diving.

Joel

Tigamom

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 18:24:48 UTC »
I have a full coverage medical with Blue Cross, and I also have full coverage with DAN.  It is better to have too much than too little, especially since a lot of health insurance carriers do not cover a trip to the hyperbaric chamber.  Also, make sure your health insurance provider covers you out of the country before you go, because some do not or require prior notification.

ssasi929

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 02:06:20 UTC »
When I got "bent" in Provo I only had medical insurance with United Healthcare through my employer- they covered all but 200.00 of my expenses. I was in the chamber in Provo twice and flown home by air ambulance and placed in the chamber in Miami 5 times.
since then I am also a DAN member. I will always have both because I was told by the MD in Provo if I had had DAN I would have gotten home quicker. All's well that ends well.

speir

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 14:31:48 UTC »
I would be interested in hearing from people who have filed dive injury claims with DAN or other dive insurers.  Is DAN reliable?  Do you have to pay first, then be reimbursed for injury charges?  How long does that take?

I am volunteering on an underwater archaeology project this summer where the sponsor requires proof of insurance.  I contacted my federal government insurer, Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (a popular Washington DC area plan comparable to Blue Cross/Blue Shield in its coverage) to clarify their coverage of diving injuries in foreign countries.  All I wanted initially was a clear, written statement of my coverage for the project sponsor.  Personally, I also was concerned about decompression chamber treatment because of its expense (it is called hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the insurance community).

What evolved was a series of emails that were outrageous, particularly considering that Mail Handlers Benefit Plan is a major insurance plan for federal employees and partially paid for by the government (i.e., the taxpayer).  The company's representative would not answer my questions, accused me of attempting to find out secret charging codes to provide to someone to bill them (fraud was implied), attempting to obtain "guaranteed benefits," and eventually said they would not respond to any more questions because I was being "disrespectful." 

Of course I am filing complaints with the federal government's program office, but in the meantime, I need verifiable insurance.  Thus, my questions about DAN.

speir

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 12:41:56 UTC »
I am not sure this poll makes much sense.  Several of the previous postings show that a typical situation is for a diver to be covered by his/her primary health insurance policy and that they have added DAN specifically for diving (that is what I did--see my April 2009 question).

So one of the survey options should be "Are you covered by both a health care policy AND an unrelated diving insurance policy (e.g., DAN)"

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.