Author Topic: Any new info on Bonaire, accomodations, dive ops, or crime?  (Read 6619 times)

nanson

• Chuck & Nancy Anson
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
We are planning a return trip to Bonaire for May 2009 and would like any helpful info on accommodations, dive ops, and the current level of crime and rental car vandalism anyone has experienced.  Our last trip was in June 2006 with Bruce Bowker....Great time!  Looking forward to your input.

DrDirector

Re: Any new info on Bonaire, accomodations, dive ops, or crime?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 00:23:37 UTC »
For the most up-to-date information about Bonaire, suggest visiting www.BonaireTalk.com.  Besides posting questions, you can easily search the site for what has been written on many different topics via the use of various keywords.

nanson

• Chuck & Nancy Anson
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:04 UTC »
Thanks....very informing.
Believe it or not....Trip Advisor (www.tripadvisor.com) has some great reviews as well.

othman

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 13:49:38 UTC »
My husband and I were in Bonaire in August.  We usually go in December (7 visits) and I was surprised that the island was very busy with lots of divers and street repair.  (No cruise ships...the winter cruise season is anticipated to be even more busy with 2 liners docking on many days).
We stayed at the Port Bonaire (condo), found it very much to our liking (good value) and will stay there in December.  We dove with "Dive Friends" with pick up at our condo complex .  The dive masters were exceptional.  The diving was good however the visibility was a bit limited due to winds.  (Interestingly there was no fresh fish to be had at any restaurant in Bonaire or Curacao during this time).  We left our restal unlocked (to prevent window breakage) and had no problems. 

nanson

• Chuck & Nancy Anson
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 21:44:23 UTC »
Thank you for the information.  We were there in July a few years back and experienced the high winds.  I know what you mean.....It does reduce vis and makes for a chilly surface interval.  Will look into Port Bonaire.  Sounds very nice.  To bad about the cruise ships.  I can remember Cozumel before the cruise ships.  I do hope the people of Bonaire will show some restraint.  On the theft issue....sounds like it is still much the same as it was a few years ago.  Thank you again for replying.

Diver Rick

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 17:06:45 UTC »
We were there in Nov 07, and going back again in a few days.

Staying at Sanddollar for both trips, with Bonaire Dive & Adventure for diving.

Accom & diving were great.

My comment on the crime etc.  It was very clear this is a real problem there.  At every parking lot we used for our shore diving, there were fresh piles of broken auto glass, indicating the car theft issue is real, common, and recent.  However, we never left anything whatsoever in our truck, left the doors unlocked at all times,  and experienced no problems ourselves.

I'm also convinced that theft from your rooms is also a problem, apparently from break ins and staff alike, although again, we did not experience any problems.  We used the room safe, (whatever good that would do from staff theft!) and also hid valuables in various locations in the condo. 

Despite these concerns, I am returning to Bonaire, because the diving is worth it, and with a few precautions, you can lower the odds considerably.

Hope that helps,

Rick

aodiver

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 13:45:29 UTC »
You may want to consider the Habitat -  (www.habitatbonaire.com)We usally rent one of the ocean villas that is equipped with a full kitchen ( these are privately owned) but rented to the property. A bit on the expensive side but for us well worth it. Another option would be Coral Paradise (www.coralparadise.com)  in between Habitat and Hamlet and  also using Habitat dive operation with storage lockers ( bring small lock) and 24/7 access to tanks and gear. Far enough away from town and the pod people, but close enough to be able to take a leisure long walk.  Close to Sanddollar mini-mart and of course Lover's Ice cream shop and Chat n Browse for internet/phone rental - Michael is a joy to speak with and a wealth of knowledge and any type of assistance you may need. 

David Frank

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 19:43:28 UTC »
We are returning for our yearly trip in Dec-Jan.  We have been staying at the Belmar condos for years, like the quiet Belnem neighborhood, the easy access to southern dive sites, and it's only  a few minutes to town for restaurants and groceries. The car break-in and theft issues exist - we have also seen the evidence of broken auto glass in parking areas. This seems to be more of a problem in the north of the island.  Follow the advice of leaving nothing of value in your car, leaving doors unlocked and windows down, and hard to see how you will have a problem. About 15 trips to the island, average 1.5 weeks each, 2 divesites a day, makes about 300 shore dives and our truck has never been touched.

Consider guided East Coast shore diving with Bas Tol. He is in the local book. Our Lac cai dive with him last trip was a highlight of our trip. 96 minutes, the largest turtles we have ever seen, squadrons of Eagle rays, large schools of tarpon, some unusual species of fish, very cool dive plan taking maximum advantage of currents and topography, and I would NOT do this dive the first (or for me the second) time without a guide. He will dive other East Coast sites as well, and we plan on doing more of this next trip.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.