Author Topic: Underwater magnifiers  (Read 9518 times)

RStyle

• Subscriber?: yes
Underwater magnifiers
« on: August 19, 2008, 02:46:27 UTC »

Any experiences or recommendations?
Was tempted to purchase the one from Prescription Masks that comes with a retractable lanyard but wonder if it really works underwater.
Reef Photo offers a $99 but not sure I want to spend that much money.

Any experiences appreciated!!

frogfish2

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Underwater magnifiers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:56:20 UTC »
Glass magnifying lenses seem to work better underwater than plastic ones, some of which don't work underwater at all.  Presumably it's the difference in the index of refraction, or something else involving underwater optics that I don't understand.  When you find a lens that works, you can attach your own retractable lanyard, or better just attach a bolt clip. 

I have one that I adapted from a lens used to view slides (remember those?) on a light box. It works.  And almost every photographer I know has a couple of slide magnifying lenses lying around, not being used.

Frogfish 2

zendee1

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 00:34:34 UTC »
I had an rx mask made with a plain lens for my dominant eye & a +1 lens in the other. I use a cheap mag glass from Office Depot, too. I found one that has a tiny area at the bottom with a higher mag.

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 20:13:01 UTC »
I bought one of the cheap drugstore magnifiers with the inset higher magnification lens and cut it down to work with hood that goes over the LCD monitor of my video camera - the higher mag area is right over the F-stop setting and the rest helps me make sure all is in focus.  God, I hate getting old!

Don

Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

DrDirector

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 22:18:29 UTC »
ReefNet offers an underwater magnifier that is supposedly very good.  Check out http://reefnet.ca/products/subsee/.  While I have never used this magnifier, I know of one person on Bonaire who has used it and highly recommends it.  Reported to be distortion-free and provide 3X magnification, very good for macro subjects.

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 22:35:06 UTC »
For $75 it better dance and sing and find macro critters for me!  I'll stick with the $3 version from the drug store.
Don
Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

Chet

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 15:50:04 UTC »
I found the diameter of the SubSee to be too small, lacking a handle, and to require that one hold it within an inch or two of the subject -- not a good thing in surge or current. Breath holding to stay in focus without injuring the subject is not a good thing, either. I have settled on two alternatives, both with nearly identical characteristics. One is 10x and the other 8x magnification. Both are 2" diameter single glass lens models with plastic frames and handles. Each costs about $6.00 US. They allow one to stand off a foot or two from the subject underwater. Even with the 66% reduction in magnification underwater, they still provide comparable magnification to the SubSee (about 3x). One can vary the distance between mask and magnifier, as well as the distance from the subject to find the best view. Any distortion appears negligible Similar lower magnification models of this type do not provide enough magnification underwater. A hole can be drilled in the handle of the 8x model to attach a lanyard, but the 10x model requires that one slip a rubber tube over the handle, looped and clamped off with a zip tie, or other means to attach a lanyard. Here's the link: (models MH7005 and MH2117-2) http://www.action-electronics.com/magnifiershh.htm

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.