Author Topic: Solomons vs. Vauatu  (Read 5444 times)

srsbmk

• Subscriber?: yes
Solomons vs. Vauatu
« on: August 18, 2008, 18:24:12 UTC »
My husband & I are thinking about a trip to either the Solomons or Vanuatu this December.  Any thoughts re:  dive operations, places to stay, places to eat, time of year to go, etc??

husker

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Solomons vs. Vauatu
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 21:12:57 UTC »
My wife & I did the 14 day cruise on the live aboard "Bilikiki" and it was the trip of our life.  See my report Oct 2007 in undercurrent or if interested I can e-mail slide show of trip.
Dale
Dale

srsbmk

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 21:55:13 UTC »
Thanks for the info.  We'll check out your 10/07 Undercurrent report as per your suggestion.

deepsix2

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 23:38:14 UTC »
I was all set to go to Uepi Island/Marovo Lagoon until the airfares went ballistic and the trip was going to cost me 5K. Now I am going to Hawaii for half the price. Maybe next year. :-[

Wayan123

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:04:00 UTC »
Diving in the Solomons is far better than that in Vanuatu.  For the Solomons Bilikiki is they best way to see what the Solomons have to offer.  A good operation that has been around for a long time.

zendee1

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 00:17:51 UTC »
We dived Gizo & Uepi a couple years ago. Gizo is incredible. Danny & Kerry Kennedy are the best. We thought the diving there was better than Uepi, but both are good. You can dive with the house reef sharks at Uepi, which is pretty neat.
The Bilikiki stays more in the eastern Solomons. If you do the boat, see if you can take a few days to go to Gizo, too.
The Australians we met liked Vanuatu, but thought the Solomons were better.

naia

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:39:33 UTC »
We've taken NAI'A to Vanuatu twice since 2000 for a total of four ten-day charters there. While there are a handful of world-class sites (and the Coolidge is an awesome wreck dive) we were generally disappointed. There are surprisingly few big fish and very little of the colour we are used to in Fiji.

On the other hand, many of our clients have dived the Bilikiki in the Solomons and I hear only good things about the diving. That’s where I’d go….

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.