Author Topic: Sea Quest i3  (Read 4755 times)

Kenny1

• Subscriber?: yes
Sea Quest i3
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:19:57 UTC »
Has anyone used or own this BCD? If so, what do you think of it? I'm in the market for a BCD and have been looking at this one.

mikall63

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Sea Quest i3
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 20:29:49 UTC »
I've not personally used it, but I work for a dive shop and all my students that have tried and bought the I3 absolutely rave about it.  I have a staff member that uses one also and loves it.  They love the fact of getting rid of the standard inflator hose.  Some have not wanted to go back to the standard alternate, and have put on an Air Source, thereby eliminating the advantage of losing the inflator hose, but that's a personal choice.  Having the pneumatic dump is a real advantage for newer divers, as they can be a little inverted and still dump air effectively also.

ppalmer

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 17:26:20 UTC »
I am also thinking about this new trend. I do quite a lot of drysuit diving in our cold waters and have a cuff-dump on my left arm. I need to raise my left arm during an ascent to keep from balooning up. If I use that same arm to dump from my BCD, I may continuously need to move my arm up and down.... I have no experience with this BCD, so this may be only a theoretical consideration. Anybody out there who can counter this?
Peter

mikall63

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 18:37:05 UTC »
The majority of our divers using this BCD are, as well, diving dry suits.  It's really a matter of choice on which you use for buoyancy underwater.  There are two schools of thought on this.  I for one, only use my dry suit for buoyancy once I'm off the surface.  There are some that add only enough air to the dry suit to keep the squeeze off and then use the BCD for buoyancy.  For a wrist dump, it may be a little more cumbersome.  For a shoulder dump, which are the majority of suits that we see, it's really a non-issue, because when you raise your elbow to dump the suit, your hand is still in position to dump the BCD as well.

NJDIVER

• Total Dves: 0-100
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 10:05:58 UTC »
I've heard mixed reports on the i3 technology.  Just remember you have a mechanical device inside your BC, with connection points to your valves, which adds more points of failure.  I've heard that the people that dive witrh it LOVE IT!  No matter which position you are in the water you can vent.  Bouancy control should solve this over time though.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.