Author Topic: Mahahual  (Read 6636 times)

videodiver

• Subscriber?: yes
Mahahual
« on: August 12, 2008, 22:26:57 UTC »
We have scheduled a trip to Mahahual next spring. We will be diving with Dreamtime Dive. What can anyone tell me about Mahahual and the diving.

DocV

• Global Moderator
Re: Mahahual
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 17:07:04 UTC »
Here's a couple of Undercurrent Instant Reader Reports:

1. "Dive Experience 51-100 dives

Where else diving Key Largo, FL, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Cayman, Mexico

Dive Conditions

Weather sunny Seas choppy
Water Temp 79 to 80 ° Fahrenheit Wetsuit Thickness 4
Water Visibility 70 to 80 Feet
Dive own profile? no

Enforced diving restrictions Drift diving and we were to stay with our divemaster, while boat waited to pick us up when we surfaced.

What I saw
Sharks None Mantas None
Dolphins None Whale Sharks None
Turtles None Whales None
Ratings 1 (worst)- 5 (best):
Corals ***** Tropical Fish ****
Small Critters *** Large Fish ****
Large Pelagics ***
Ratings and Overall Comments 1 (worst)- 5 (best):
Accommodations *** Service ***
Food ***
Dive Operation ***** Shore Diving ***
Overall Rating

Beginners ***
Advanced ***

Comments I booked with Dreamtime divers(www.dreamtimediving.com)on-line before we left home. Dive shop was very nice and friendly people. This part of Mexico is just now getting more visitors because of the new cruise port in Majahual. We came in on Carnival Cruise Liberty ship and had a taxi take us to dive shop. We only had one other couple with us on our first dive, my husband and I thought that were ever the other couple had gotten there certification from should have there license taken away from them. They should have never been diving(the women came out with her wetsuits on backwards and the husband could not control his buoyancy the whole dive and at one point shot up to the surface from 60 feet). The coral was in outstanding shape and fish life was large and colorful. Only down side was that it seems that the people renting Waverunner jetskis should give briefing on staying away from divers and dive boats. On our second dive when we surfaced there were people on jetskies blasting around us and it was pretty scary thinking about getting run over by one.
We would have liked to have seem a dive flag posted on our boat which may have helped people to know that there were divers in the water. We didn’t want to
leave and would like to come back to Dreamdivers and dive for a full week with them. Great dive shop and great diving. Make sure you dive with Dreamtime if you happen to find yourself in Mexico."

2. "Dreatime Dive Resort / Carnival Valor in
Cozumel and the Mexican Yucatan / Costa Maya on
2005/12

Hugh Aaron , VA, United States

Dive Experience 101-250 dives

Where else diving All over the Caribbean, Virginia, North Carolina

Dive Conditions

Weather sunny, windy, dry Seas choppy, noCurrents
Water Temp 80 to 82 ° Fahrenheit Wetsuit Thickness 3
Water Visibility 50 to 70 Feet

What I saw
Sharks None Mantas None
Dolphins None Whale Sharks None
Turtles 1 or 2 Whales None
Ratings 1 (worst)- 5 (best):
Corals ***** Tropical Fish *****
Small Critters ***** Large Fish ***
Large Pelagics ***

Ratings and Overall Comments 1 (worst)- 5 (best):
Accommodations ***** Service *****
Food *****
Dive Operation ***** Shore Diving *

Overall Rating

Beginners *****
Advanced *****

Comments My wife, 12 year old son and I were on the Carnival Valor the week between Christmas and New Years, 2005. My wife and I have been diving for about 25 years. My son was certified this past summer. Costa Maya was my son’s third saltwater dive.

We had made arrangement (via email) before we left home to do a two tank boat dive in Costa Maya with Dreamtime Dive Resort. Dreamtime is located on the beach about one-half of a mile beyond the tourist area in Mahahual. It was about a 10 minute cab ride from the cruise ship pier (about $5 per person). Make sure that you ask the cab driver to drop you off at the Dreamtime dive ship. Otherwise, you will have a bit of a hike from town. Upon arrival, we were asked to complete a very thorough questionnaire and show our C cards. It immediately became obvious to us that Dreamtime is a very professional and safety conscious operation. Carlos, the Dreamtime dive boat captain, backed the boat up to the beach and the Dreamtime staff loaded our gear for us. We then boarded the boat right from the beach. The boat was in excellent shape and well set-up for diving with heavy duty integrated tank ranks on the port and starboard sides.

Willie, one of the Dreamtime dive masters, lead both dives. Willie is extremely customer service oriented. It was obviously very important to him that we had a great experience in Costa Maya and we did. The first dive was to about 70 feet. Although the chop cut down the visibility
somewhat, the reef was still beautiful and teeming with sea life. After a surface interval of a little over an hour, we made our second dive at a shallower area of the reef. My son had some trouble clearing on the second dive and Willie worked with him very patiently while the rest of us enjoyed the dive. In addition to our family and Willie, there were three
other divers on the first dive and two other divers on the second dive.

In summary, Costa Maya is a great dive site and Dreamtime is a first class operation."

Regards,

DocVikingo

jred159

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 06:01:31 UTC »
Doooock??? is that you??? Really??? saying that???

its Barracuda Jamie (Jim) here.  Does Dreamtime have permits to go to Chinchoro?

You were actually on a cruise ship?

Is this the Dr. I'm thinkin of????

I still own my land in Xcalak.  Did you make it that far south?

DocV

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:24:12 UTC »
Doooock??? is that you??? Really??? saying that???

Hey Jimmy,

No, I didn't say those things. They're Instant Reader Reports by others. I quoted them for the OP.  I haven't been to Mahahual except to quickly survey at the place.

I still own my land in Xcalak.  Did you make it that far south?

You must be confusing me with someone else, amigo. Of course I've been to Xcalak, and farther south, several times. I've stayed at both the Hotel Tierra Maya and Costa de Cocos, and dove with ops that aren't even there anymore. I've seen jaguars in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.

Regards,

DocVikingo

jred159

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 13:13:46 UTC »
Hey Vid,
Be really careful going down there before the cruise ship pier reopens.  The area is still really devistated and Ive heard estimations as low as 500 when it comes to population in Mahahual.  No cruise ships=no tourists=no money=no electricity=no air conditioning.  I'd talk to some folks who have actually been there since May or so before I would make any plans to go there.  If you do find someone who's been there I'd really like to talk to them too.

gusdog

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 14:10:51 UTC »
You have bad information.  Real bad.  Various hotels etc are up and runniing.  I am no fan of the Mahual cruise pier but they are working overtime to get the place back.  Was through there early this year and it was no ghost town.

videodiver

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 14:14:36 UTC »
That's what I have heard. Sounds like they are getting a lot of things rebuilt and open.

gusdog

• Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 17:00:57 UTC »
just a followup since we passed through Mahahual last week while visiting Ixcalak.  Word is the cruise boat pier will reopen end of Oct.  It looked finished viewing it from a distance.  The downtown area of Mahahual has undergone a total remake (not talking about the cruise boat "village".  There is a wide pedastrian walkway winding along the shore starting around the light house.  Off hand its looking a lot less sleezy than it did previously. 
As to Chinchorro.  I head that only one shop has permits to dive Chinchorro. The shop in Ixcalak. 

Anne

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 15:45:03 UTC »
Hi there, We are headed to Xcalak in February.  do you know anything about Sandwood villas?  XTC dive operation?  Things not to miss?

thanks,
Anne

videodiver

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 15:47:42 UTC »
Wish I could help, this will be our 1st trip to that area. We are still checking things out on the net.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.