Author Topic: Ear Guards?  (Read 6127 times)

ClaireOK

• Claire's & Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Ear Guards?
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:19:52 UTC »
Has anyone tried this or know anything about it?  I have ear equalization probs and am always looking for a way to drop quickly.

http://www.proear2000.com/

Dane Foucher

• Dane Foucher
  • Total Dves: over 1000
Re: Ear Guards?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 17:39:20 UTC »
Claire,

I have never used them, but like you, have always wondered if they would be helpful or not.  I have noticed, however, that when I dive with a hood or even a neoprene hat that covers my ears, I notice that  the rate of pressure applied to the ear is slowed considerably.  I can descend quicker and equalize better with this slower rate of increased pressure.  I have to think that that is what is behind these ear plugs.

Dane

ClaireOK

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 17:54:05 UTC »
Thanks Dane - I'm always looking for ways to get down faster.  It's frustrating and sometimes to the point where it causes me stress in that I'm seeing a great ray get away before I can get shots of it - that sort of thing.

frogfish2

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 05:42:11 UTC »
Claire,

Try this technique - it has worked wonderfully for me and many others over the years. 

After you enter the water but before you begin your descent, clear once on the surface by swallowing (if that works for you), or else using the Valsalva maneuver, with light pressure.  There needs to be an ambient pressure differential between your head and your chest/lungs or this won't work, so you must be submerged in the water up to your neck.  As usual, opening your jaw as wide as possible while keeping the lips closed can help make the Valsalva maneuver successful. 

Clearing on the surface pre-pressurizes the Eustachian tubes so that the initial increase in ambient pressure on descent doesn't force them closed.  This makes it easier to subsequently clear your Eustachian tubes again during your descent, ideally starting in the first 2-3 meters below the surface.

That's it.  Nothing to buy, no organization to join. Now go get those rays!

RobertEE

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 14:08:43 UTC »
Claire-
Do you know anything about the mask with the "earmuffs"- I've seen them used and the divers claim their ears clear easier...  How was your trip?
Bob

ClaireOK

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 01:33:00 UTC »
Wow - this would be great - who makes it - where can you find it...most importantly how does it work.

I have a review up here.   Then I put up a little pictorial montage on YouTube here.  We had a blast - or rather I thought it was great.  But I LOVE diving.  This was easy diving with lots of stuff I hadn't seen before and even to a site that had never been dived before - saw 2 schools of squid, scrawled filefish, orangespotted filefish, branching anemone on and on.  It was just a fantastic dive.  And the funny thing is that they always started out ho-hum....you get in the water and look at the reef and think - this isn't special (I mean when I get in to Palanchar Bricks @ Cozumel, I gasp it's so beautiful), but this is ho-hum....then you see a funny looking file fish type thing go by and then the DM is having a conniption fit and you look up to see 30 squid going by, and all of a sudden you look into the reef and see some new clammy type thing glued onto a gorgonian and you're dying to see if it opens and closes, but all you can do is just go from side to side to see what the heck it is, and then a rock beauty comes by to investigate you!

It's an out-of-the way place and not easy to get to (4 hours south of Cancun).  If they had flights to Akumal/Chetumal/Tulum or whatever then that would help a lot.  It's close to Belize City, however you can't rent a car and go through country boundaries - something about the rental car companies don't allow that.  So it's all the way to Cancun.  Mahahual (pronounced ma-hu-al) was also bull's eye hit by Cat 5 Dean last year - so they're recovering from that.  I really don't see that as much of a prob as the transportation to and from. And it's not that far so the transportation issue isn't all that big of a deal as say going to and from the l Course if it was easy it wouldn't be such a beautiful pristine reef.

It reminds me of what people said Cozumel was about 20 years ago....it will definitely grow and become more well known but for now I think it's a real find - I'd love to go back.  I'd love to buy a place there now - it's cheap and will grow like crazy in the next 5 to 10 years!!!!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.