Author Topic: Xmas - New Year's suggestions  (Read 3760 times)

River_Forest

• Caymans, January, 2004
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: no
Xmas - New Year's suggestions
« on: August 10, 2008, 19:11:54 UTC »
I have almost two weeks free, Christmas and New Year's, but only modest funds. I'm moderately experienced (c. 350 dives), almost entirely in the Caribbean. I'm looking for a good Caribbean recommendation. Preferences: healthy reefs with fish variety and good macro life, no need for (big) pelagics; good shore diving, safe for solo diver; boat diving at moorings, not drift; good, simple food included in package; simple or even Spartan rather than luxurious; preferably not Roatan, where I've been quite often. The only night life I want is underwater; the only shore activity I want is lying around, journaling, and reading. River_Forest
River_Forest

ClaireOK

• Claire's & Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Xmas - New Year's suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 20:41:24 UTC »
This is going to sound soooooooo boring - but hands down - Cozumel.  I love staying at
Casa del Mar  (they're south of town a little) but they have an excellent house reef, the place is really made for divers and December is one of my fav times to go.  The water is not quite as warm as summer (I usually do a 3 mm & core - but then 80° is my favorite temp - might be a little cool with a light breeze - so I'm cold-natured).  CDM usually runs great rates for that time of year, although closer to New Year and you start running into high season.  You can do unlimited dives on the house reef if you use Del Mar Aquatics but check with them to see what you want to do. 

We're doing December there (a little earlier) just to get the winter doldrums out of our system.  I never tire of diving Cozumel.

RobertEE

• Total Dves: over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Xmas - New Year's suggestions
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 16:21:08 UTC »
I would also recommend diving Cozumel.  IF budget is a concern, better lock down your airfare pronto.  Get as cheap of a flight in Cancun and then do the bag drag to Coz (bus, walk 2 blocks, ferry)- budget 4 hours from flight arrival to being in Coz.  Be aware of cheaper late flights into Cancun that would not allow you to get to Coz that day- otherwise need overnight accommodations there as well.  Google/search out  Alicia's B&B (or use Trip Advisor, Travel Notes or other travel search engines to get people's opinions of Alicia's).  To me, it is the best deal on Coz.  You are 10 blocks away from the water, several more to town, but only a $2 cab ride away.  She is located inland more in a local residential and ma&pa small business area BUT her rate is $50/night including a killer breakfast.  Diving can run $55-75 for a two tank dive and even a car rental can be had with all insurance for $35/day.  A ton of small local restaurants serving meals under $5-8.  So, if you are driven by budget, diving in Cozumel and staying at Alicias can't be beat.  Check back with this board on airline ticket pricing- that might be interesting to hear what can be had for the holidays.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.