Author Topic: Grand Turk  (Read 2409 times)

Niagara

• Subscriber?: yes
Grand Turk
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:29:38 UTC »
Planning trip to Grand Turk in Feb.-March of 2016. Have been to Provo previously( 4 years ago) and I would like opinions from people who have dove both places as to whether the reefs( coral and fish)  off Grand Turk are as good, better or poorer than Provo. Thanks.

rkrigg

• Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Grand Turk
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 22:05:52 UTC »
I was there in 2008.  I dove Provo in 2007.  If you are a diver it is 100% better than Provo.  My wife is not a diver and did not like the accommodations.  Diver resort vs Royal West Indies on Provo.  The dive sites on Grand Turk are all with in a 15 min boat ride.  Good restaurants, but sometimes the menu is lacking as it is a small island and they just don't have the selection like Provo.  I would go back in a heart beat, my best diving out of 300 dives was on Grand Turk.   But that was in 2008 things change they had a horrible hurricane year in 2009.  Hope this helps
Diving since 2003 sites visited Aruda, Bonaire, Curacao, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman (8 times), Provo, Grand Turk, Jamaica, Roatan, St Thomas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys,  Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum (Cenotes and Ocean) - like small dive groups and quiet resorts

Niagara

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:05:11 UTC »
Thanks for your prompt reply.  I had been to Provo twice and dove with Dive Provo while staying across the parking. Had a great time both trips; but never visited Grand Turk or Salt Cay. Your correct, hurricanes can change things.

Robinell

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 17:58:22 UTC »
Grand Turk is grand!  Healthy, fishy reefs, only a 15 minute boat ride from shore.  All dive ops have small boats with 6-8 divers and local DMs who know and respect the reefs.  It's a small island, very laid back, safe, with a couple good restaurant options and small intimate hotels.  If  you want a laid back vacation with friendly people and good diving but not a lot else to do than relax and read your book after diving, it's great. If you want pulsing night life and lots of restaurant choices and big hotels with infinity pools, stay on Provo.

Niagara

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 00:31:02 UTC »
Thanks for the reply concerning Grand Turk.
 Have already booked my one week vacation at the Osprey Hotel for March.
 Thanks again for your reply. All comments have been positive which makes me feel I am making a good choice.

Jerry

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.