Author Topic: Your Diver Dropout article  (Read 1206 times)

conchasdiver

• conchasdiver@dreamstime.com
  • Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Your Diver Dropout article
« on: January 03, 2015, 00:27:02 UTC »
As an active diver (over retirement age) who has been doing this for forty years I can't help but throw in my two cents worth. I have witnessed diver training deteriorate to the point of certifying pretty much anyone with a pulse. The 'training platform' these days is nothing more than a pyramid scam designed to get new divers to drop more money to be instantly highly recognized. My latest surprise today was realizing there's now a certificate for 'solo' diver! Imagine my concern when I've been doing it for forty years uncertified!
These dive agencies all suck & they do so in the same way.

dreazor

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Total Dves: 101-500
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Re: Your Diver Dropout article
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 00:00:13 UTC »
Unfortantly, I have to agree. I started diving in the 70's before the gear of today. You had to know what you were doing or else the odds were you would experience problems. Training was sure a lot different and I doubt half the students that get a C card today, would not if some of the old training was used. I had not dived for almost 30 years and my wife wanted to get certified, so I took the course with her to update myself with the new gear and refresh on skills. I couldn't believe what was taught as basic in the 70's was completely gone. While I agree the more training the better, but so much is done online and very lttile practice and very few instructors do more then teach the class without any advice on other areas that would be helpful and maybe make them a better diver. My concern is that new divers get certifications, believe now are qualified to do dives they not even attempt. I sum it up this way, we spent a week on Grand Cayman and was around 50 dives under her belt and she simply stated, I finally feel comfortable and capable diver. I smiled and said, yes I know. So our next trip was a live aboard, she was ready!

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.