Author Topic: Wakatobi  (Read 7987 times)

scubapeople5

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Wakatobi
« on: August 04, 2008, 01:47:34 UTC »
We are planning a trip in September to the Wakatobi resort and just checking in to see if anyone has been there before? Any thoughts and considerations out of the ordinary. We spent three weeks in Indonesia on the Kararu liveaboard and just loved the diving. Like nothing we have ever experienced before, and we have been all over the Caribbean.
Thank you. 

Eagleray

• Undercurent Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Total Dves: Over 1000
Re: Wakatobi
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:49:56 UTC »
You'll find loads of the latest reports from Undercurrent readers on Wakatobi, as well as virtually any other place, in our Instant Reader Reports section.  Those on Indonesia are here.  That will at least give you a start. 
Please post forum support questions/problems in the Forum Feedback board

scubapeople5

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 15:05:22 UTC »
Thank you  :)

ldg7

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 15:15:55 UTC »
Hi,
Went to Wakatobi May 2007 (report in chapbook) and it was unbelievable.  More than I had hoped for as far as diving and photography.  Took nothing but macro for ten days.  Guides were great and the reefs were untouched.  I wasn't prepared for the condition.  I was used to the Grand Cayman where you can always find something dead to hold onto.  I had to hold onto the guide and get a couple of quick shots and then on to the next site.  The resort was wonderful.  Very organized and well thought out.  Spent a couple of days in Bali on both ends.  Great tours.  The only problem was, now I'm spoiled.  Going to Raja Amapt with Divephotoguide December 2009.  Can't wait.  Enjoy yourself and dive safe.

Travelnsj

• Total Dves: 500-1000
  • Underwater photographer?: no
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 00:58:45 UTC »
I have a trip report posted for October 07. In short water was cool and unless you like Pigmy Seahorses and Nudi's.....Well the dive operation was excellent....I enjoyed Bali, East Timor, Lembeh Straits and Raja Ampat/Papua considerably more than Wakatobi.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 01:07:47 UTC by Travelnsj »
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

cdiver2

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 19:24:11 UTC »

I have to agree with IDG7 & Travelns

Hi,
Went to Wakatobi May 2007 (report in chapbook) and it was unbelievable.  More than I had hoped for as far as diving and photography.  Took nothing but macro for ten days.  Guides were great and the reefs were untouched.  I wasn't prepared for the condition.  I was used to the Grand Cayman where you can always find something dead to hold onto.  I had to hold onto the guide and get a couple of quick shots and then on to the next site.  The resort was wonderful.  Very organized and well thought out.  Spent a couple of days in Bali on both ends.  Great tours.  The only problem was, now I'm spoiled.  Going to Raja Amapt with Divephotoguide December 2009.  Can't wait.  Enjoy yourself and dive safe.

I have a trip report posted for October 07. In short water was cool and unless you like Pigmy Seahorses and Nudi's.....Well the dive operation was excellent....I enjoyed Bali, East Timor, Lembeh Straits and Raja Ampat/Papua considerably more than Wakatobi.

While the operation runs like clock work there are a couple of draw backs. The diving is mostly macro you will probably see Lion fish, Frog fish, Crocodile fish and turtles outside of that the rest is macro and very difficult to see unless you stick close to the DM and line up to see the subject (don't be last as the DM and the rest of the group will be moving along without you).

While we were there the currents were fairly strong making it difficult to do macro and nothing to hold onto, the coral is that thick, the DM did offer his arm a couple of times.

No changing boats, you are assigned a boat when you arrive and stay with it, if your boat is doing a dive you would rather not do they will not let you go to another boat.

I have dived PNG, Palau and would go back in a heart beat but sad to say I would not pay all that money to do Wakatobi again

Travelnsj

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 19:48:44 UTC »
cdiver2...I'm confused you say you agree with me then you went in May 07 and loved it?.....or did you forget how to do "quotes" on someone elses post?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:00:33 UTC by Travelnsj »
I endeavor to pursue....Spend most of my diving time in the Indo-Pacific region. Lembeh Straits, Raja Ampat and Palau are my favorites!

cdiver2

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 19:55:18 UTC »
Sorry, unlike you I am a Diver not a Cyberdiver  ;D

Travelnsj

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:03:37 UTC »
Ahhh...cdiver2, how many dive trips have you been on this year?...Have you been diving since Wakatobi last October?

mbode

• Bodeweb
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 16:54:40 UTC »
From my five visits of the Wakatobi-Area I have stayed only once in the Wakatobi Dive Resort (WDR). All other trips were on liveaboards. So I was able to visit the eastern atolls of the Tukang Besi Islands as well as the islands in the west like Batuatas and Kakabia. 
In short: 
In my opinion diving in Wakatobi is overrated. WDR has a very good house reef and there are two or three excellent dive spots in the area. The rest is good diving but nothing out of the ordinary. There is better diving in in other parts of Indonesia: Bunaken/Lembeh, Komodo, Maumere, Alor, Raja Ampat and even Bali(!) have much more to offer for uw-photographers than Wakatobi.

highdesert

• Total Dves: 0-100
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 00:15:13 UTC »
Ahhh...cdiver2, how many dive trips have you been on this year?...Have you been diving since Wakatobi last October?

C'mon now Scott, how many people go on as many dive trips as you do in a year??
Born to Travel ...

jozefk

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 19:11:52 UTC »
Hi!

Went to Wakatobi Aug 5 -15/08 & really loved the experience.  As universally reported it excels in macro subjects.  I spent the first half of my trip on the Pelagian & the remainder on land.  Both were extremely pleasent, the staff particularly the divemasters: An Italian couple (nobody does creature hand signals as beautifully as they did) & Cornelius, the only Indonesian diveguide on staff, were engaging & attentive, as was the crew. 

Apart from the usual concerns of amenities, food, etc (all excellent), I was very impressed with the resort's model for reef/wildlife preservation, as well as the commitment that the resort makes to the local population, i.e. as much employment as possible & the provision of electricity to the island's village in return for the location. I'd love to go back.  As your time permits, spend some time in Bali, so that your body (& if necessary) your luggage can catch up.

Joe K

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.