Author Topic: Saba  (Read 4992 times)

Brenda

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
Saba
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:53:53 UTC »
We recently returned from 10 days on Saba (a 13 min flight from St. Maartin). We loved it. A perfect 5 square miles of relaxation. The dive conditions weren't 100% optimal, but even though it was my first time with my wide angle lens, the pictures weren't bad! We dove with Sea Saba - they also take care of everything - I mean everything - dinner reservations, grocery shopping, anything. We found the dive masters to be knowledgeable, relaxed, and absolutely no pressure to end any dives before you wanted/needed to. Because the island is preserved as a marine park, the fish have alot less fear of people than in other places.

For lodging we rented the Iris House and loved it. Enough restaurants to keep us entertained, outdoor movies, some interesting hikes (everything is straight up or straight down), and the friendliest taxi drivers you will ever meet. During the summer, there were about 25 tourists on the island in total. That's our kind of place! Add the most exciting landing and take-off you might ever have and it is definitely a place we fell in love with.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have about this locale

RStyle

Re: Saba
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:38:24 UTC »
Had exact experience.
It is a hidden paradise.
Very beautiful and very relaxing.

tkola

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 17:09:10 UTC »
Saba's awesome............One thing to watch - Sea Saba wouldn't refund my wife's dives even though she could only dive one day due to "time of the month" issues. I was dissappointed/surprised about that. Other than that it was great diving and a great island to visit. You Tube has a bunch of takeoffs, including one filmed from the cockpit!

scubaokl

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 13:21:18 UTC »
Yes,

Saba is a great island to visit. Sea Saba did everything for us. The last day we climbed Mt. Scenery, a very muddy and up hill climb, but wow, what a view from the top.

rcwhite

• Total Dves: 500-1000
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 23:02:35 UTC »
I really liked diving Saba.  The island is like something out of a movie.  Went with Sea Saba and enjoyed the service and diving very much.  Also stayed at Juliana's and enjoyed that very much as well.  Run by a nice couple from the Netherlands. 

smoore

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 19:09:45 UTC »
Just got back from Saba.  We dove with Saba Deep again (3rd trip).  It is under new ownershp.  The couple that are running it are making changes including getting a new boat.  The restaurant associated with the dive operation "In Too Deep" still serves great lunches. 

We booked 3 days of diving and 4 nights accomodation at The Cottage Club (basic but very clean and run by very nice people).  My wife had an equipment problem on her first dive and didn't dive the two booked dives for the balance of that day and missed a dive on day 2.  I had to miss a dive on day 2 to deal with a work issue.  They only charged us for the dives we took (didn't even have to ask them). 

Saba is a great spot and the people are amazing.  We went to dinner at the Swinging Door and after we ordered dinner I realized they didn't take Visa.  They would have been content if I had come in the next day to pay but as the ATM was just around the corner I got some money and paid them that evening. 

The diving is great.  Seem to see a shark every 2nd or 3rd dive.  Usually see one or more turtles each day.  Combined with a few days on St. Maarten this is a trip that gives you a bit of everything. 
Steve Moore

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.