Author Topic: St. Croix, Aug.2-9  (Read 6231 times)

Airhead52

• Subscriber?: yes
  • Underwater photographer?: yes
St. Croix, Aug.2-9
« on: July 28, 2008, 21:35:30 UTC »
My wife and I are heading south to the USVI, Carambola Beach resort for a look at St. Croix!   I know this is late, but any last minute advice/comments are welcome from this GREAT forum community. 
   We are renting a car, and have pre-paid several days of diving with Cane Bay divers (on The hotel site).
 Aside from get lucky with the weather, what is there to do topside?   Joe & Jeanne (Airhead 52)
Most Baby Boomers Look Better In a Wetsuit!

ClaireOK

• Claire's & Walt's Underwater Adventures and Photography
Re: St. Croix, Aug.2-9
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:42:30 UTC »
We did the Rorqual US Virgin Islands trip and the best dive hands down was the Frederiksted Pier - I know this sounds contrary to everything you can imagine, but it is shallow and excellent. During the day I saw at least 10 octopus (from 10' to 15' depth), frogfish (about 20' depth) and loads and loads of fish and critters of all sorts under the pier and around it.  Didn't go all the way out to the end of the pier cause there was so much to see in the shallower depths.  Did a day and night dive there.  The locals fish off the pier at night, so don't dive around that, but otherwise very safe and very fun dive.  See our pics here - all but the flamingo tongue were taken at the Frederiksted Pier.

Airhead52

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:21:37 UTC »
Thanks ClaireOK!   We'll definitely take a ride to the pier, and I believe it is rather close to Carambola beach resort.  I'll have a point and shoot Panasonic digital with UW case that I use for stills and video, so like you, I'll savor the shallow water there.   By the way, I checked out your Curacao photos too.  We were there last year last week of August and had a wonderful time under and above water.  I recommended it to the local dive shop here in Greenville, only to find they allready have a trip planned there this summer.
   Thanks for the info.  Airhead52!

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 20:28:12 UTC »
Agree - the pier dive is not be missed, both night and day.  Even saw a mola in the distance while doing a day dive under the pier.  Don't count on that, however!
Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

Airhead52

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 20:35:06 UTC »
Well, I now have enough back-up to maybe convince my better half to do a nite dive!  Should be about as safe as you can get, diving the pier after dark, as opposed to say, a boat.    We'll be sure and file a trip log in dive travel after we return, and for now, we are just about to drive to Atlanta to stay overnite and fly out tomorrow.  Thanks for the good info!   Joe & Jeanne

ClaireOK

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 16:11:08 UTC »
I absolutely recommend this as a night dive....when the Rorqual was there - the back (where we jumped in from) was in about 12 feet of water....I went toward the shore and found 3 octopi during the day....at night they were everywhere.  This should be very, very easy to fathom (no pun meant!!! ha!!!)  This is such an easy night dive and your pard should see so much that it will totally addict her/him to night diving.  It's very safe and very easy.  If you need some more encouragement or even some ol' fashioned pressure - just let me know.  It was a fabulous day & night dive (actually I think I did it 3 times now that I remember it!)

I'll put up some of my nighttime pics and let you know. It's really a fabulous dive.

blacktip

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 18:10:47 UTC »
Ditto the pire, but the Mini wall at Salt Canyon is a very nice dive

ClaireOK

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 20:12:08 UTC »
OK - here's a gallery of some of my shots from the pier at night. Enjoy.

Well, I now have enough back-up to maybe convince my better half to do a nite dive!  Should be about as safe as you can get, diving the pier after dark, as opposed to say, a boat.    We'll be sure and file a trip log in dive travel after we return, and for now, we are just about to drive to Atlanta to stay overnite and fly out tomorrow.  Thanks for the good info!   Joe & Jeanne
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 20:14:10 UTC by ClaireOK »

Don Stark

• Get Wet and Have Fun!
    • ScubaVisions TV
  • Total Dves: over 1000
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 21:47:33 UTC »
Ditto the pire, but the Mini wall at Salt Canyon is a very nice dive

Agree, that was another of my favorites.
Don
Don Stark
ScubaVision Productions
Follow me at Twitter:  DonStark
www.ScubaVisions.TV

Airhead52

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 22:03:09 UTC »
  Thanks everyone for replies and pictures!  We're back from St. Croix, and had a great trip.   The pier at Frederiksted should not be missed by any diver.  I got pictures of octopi, seahorses, and a batfish, as well as more standard fare under this pier in Daylight!   Like any destination, there were pro's and con's, but with great weather, plenty of great restaurants , and first class dive sites, St. Croix is hard to beat.  Octopus and dolphins were present on several occaisions, as well as stingrays and squid. 
   If I may whine about something, it has to be that you must drive on the left side of the road with left-hand (American style) drive autos.   Not much of a negative, and passing through customs to the US before you leave St. Croix is a definite plus.  I'll post a diver's report on trip reports tomorrow.  Good Diving, everyone!  Airhead 52.

Get the diving news serious divers need!

with real diving news you won't find elsewhere!

Make your next dive trip the best one ever!

Get the diving info you need with monthly issues online, the 800 page The Travelin' Diver's Chapbook, 24/7 access to 1000's of honest diving reports and much, much more.

Special Offers for Our Readers
Get discounted dive trips/ equipment/ ... from dive businesses the world over.